My name is Ben Simpson.
I write about theology, the Bible, ministry and ideas. I have been married to my wife, Molly, for twenty years and we have two children. Molly is an ordained United Methodist elder. We met at Baylor in 1998 and were married in the summer of 2003.
I am a graduate of Baylor University (BA – Religion, ’02), Dallas Theological Seminary (MA – Christian Education, ’05), and The University of Kansas (MA – Religious Studies, ’11). In ’15 I completed course of study for a Certification in Spiritual Direction at Perkins School of Theology, SMU. I enjoy conversation, sports, and time with friends. You can email me here.
I am an ordained Baptist minister and have served in church leadership positions in children’s, youth, and college ministry. I am a spiritual director and I serve my local church as a Sunday school teacher. I also am very grateful to serve as Associate Director of Spiritual Formation at Baylor University’s George W. Truett Theological Seminary.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are solely my own. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of Baylor University or the George W. Truett Theological Seminary.
Use and read this website at your own risk.
My work has appeared in Collide Magazine (later the Echo Hub), RelevantMagazine.com, FaithVillage, Practicing Families, Mere Orthodoxy, and Burlap. I have been published in Devozine, The Upper Room Magazine, Baptist Standard, and The Englewood Review of Books. If you’d like me to write a piece for your webpage or periodical, reach out.
A widely read piece of mine concerns the legacy of Brennan Manning.
Here are a few contributions I made to Collide:
- The Collision of Sound and Space
- Gathered, Yet Mediated
- Filling in the Gaps
- Media and Spiritual Formation
I contributed a chapter to Becoming a Praying Congregation: Churchwide Leadership Tools.
I’ve been involved in these curriculum projects:
- Committed to Christ: 40 Devotions for a Generous Life
- Table Talk Volume 1 – Devotions: Bible Stories You Should Know
- Table Talk Volume 2 – Devotions: Bible Stories You Should Know
- Journey 101: Daily Readings: Knowing God, Loving God, Serving God: Steps to the Life God Intends
- What Makes a Hero? Leader Guide: The Death-Defying Ministry of Jesus
- The Grace of Les Miserables Leader Guide
- The Trouble with the Truth Leader Guide: Balancing Truth and Grace
- Jesus is Lord: The Cry of a Kingdom Citizen, Youth Edition
- Solomon: No Ordinary Kind of Wisdom Teaching Guide (Lessons 8-10)
- How Great is Our God: Passing the Faith Along Teaching Guide (Lessons 8-10)
I have also written content for the Tony Evans Training Center.
- ERB: Cornelius Plantinga, Under the Wings of God
- ERB: Gary Scott Smith, Strength for the Fight
- Baptist Standard: James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful You
- ERB: Stephen Macchia, The Discerning Life
- ERB: Clare Carlisle, Philosopher of the Heart
- ERB: Luci Shaw, The Generosity
- ERB: Lee Beach, The Church in Exile
- ERB: Ben Witherington, The Rest of Life
- ERB: Paul Heintzman, Leisure and Spirituality
You can connect with me here:
You can sign up for my eNewsletter via Substack.
Please be aware that from time to time I reference and review books and other products that are available for sale online, and any and all links to Amazon.com are affiliate links. Sales generated by visiting Amazon from my website yield a small commission that I frequently apply toward the purchase of books. By buying the products I feature on this site, you support me, my work, and my love of literature. Thanks!